October 27, 2020

Home buyers need a winning team

Buying a home can be a complicated process. You’ll want to get help from a team of knowledgeable professionals.

Your team will likely include a realtor, a lender or mortgage broker, a lawyer, an insurance broker and a home inspector.

Realtors: Your realtor’s job is to help you find the ideal home, write an Offer to Purchase and negotiate on your behalf. Don’t be afraid to ask questions — especially about possible service charges. To learn more, visit the Canadian Real Estate Association at www.crea.ca or the Calgary Real Estate Board at www.creb.com
Lenders and Mortgage Brokers: Many institutions provide mortgages, including banks, trust companies, credit unions, pension funds, insurance companies and finance companies. Mortgage brokers don’t work for any specific institution; their role is to shop around and find the best mortgage for the buyer. To find a lender or mortgage broker, you can ask for a referral from your realtor, family or friends, or contact the Canadian Association of Accredited Mortgage Professionals at www.caamp.org
Lawyers: The lawyer is there to protect your legal interests by making sure the home doesn’t have any building or statutory liens, charges or work or cleanup orders. To find a lawyer, check with your local law association.
Insurance Brokers: An insurance broker can help you to shop around for your insurance needs. Lenders require property insurance because your property is their security for your mortgage loan.
Home inspectors: In most of Canada there are no licensing requirements for home inspectors, so look for one who belongs to a provincial or industry association.
CMHC’s Homebuying Step by Step: A Consumer Guide and Workbook will lead you through the process. Download a free copy at www.cmhc.ca

Mark Salerno is district manager for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.